[Harp-L] Bending, Overblowing and Larry Adler

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Sat Nov 17 16:23:38 EST 2018

Joseph Leone wrote:
<Exotic manipulations are fine. IF you can do them. Which brings up an
interesting <dichotomy. Diatonic harps are much much harder to master than
chromatics.
<T?other night I had the unfortunate occasion to ?try? and listen to 3
different versions of <Schubert?s ?Ave Maria? played on diatonic. There
were 3 notes that all of
<the players got wrong. And another 2 that were missing. One of the players
made no <attempt to get these notes, while two of them tried to whip out a
can of
<?Snowjoberoll? (MY patent), spray it around and expect the audience to buy
it.

And therein lies the rub.  "If you can do them" indeed. The bar is high,
and if you can't exceed that bar the audience is neither fooled nor amused.

Like I said before: Adler said in his book that you shouldn't let the
audience see how hard you're working.  Thielemans said to say away from the
"look Ma, no hands" stuff.  I say that if you're playing a piece by
Schubert that everyone knows by heart since they were 10, you'd better play
it well.  if you can't play it well with overnotes, don't.  Nobody wants to
see anyone practicing in public, unless the one practicing is Maria Callas.

Regards, Richard Hunter
--
Help fund Richard Hunter's "Blue Future" killer blues record!
https://igg.me/at/bluefuture/x/18098212

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)