[Harp-L] Overblows

dh@xxxxx dh@xxxxx
Fri Nov 16 15:04:40 EST 2018

I think technique and wording is getting in the way Overblow, overnotes, 12
keys, why, why not ? Show off, pro, not pro ...

The simple thing behind this is :

You play an instrument to express yourself The more you can do it in a
various ways the better The more vocabulary you get the better you will be
able to translate your emotions

Bends are notes, overbends are notes, plain notes are notes All of the above
are notes,  just notes that we want to put together connect the dots

The reason I started to play bends and overbends was just to play the music
I liked and play more of it and if possible play it better

When you want to play Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Paganini, Bach or mostly
anything actually on a diatonic at some point you will need bends and
overbends, even in standard blues and country you can use them right When
you want to improvise freely and write your own music you can always use
more tools, more notes, more techniques to express yourself So I don't think
it's so much about "I want to play in F# on a C harmonica" it's more about I
love this violin / saxophone phrase I would like to play this kind of things
on my harmonica (it could be a bouzouki at this point) How do I do it ? Some
tunes, melodies or chord progressions don't really give you a choice if you
want to play them there is no other way around than to bend and overbend on
a diatonic or work on your technique if you play any other instrument.

David Herzhaft

www.davidherzhaft.com <http://www.davidherzhaft.com>