[Harp-L] Melodies with low bends (was Re: Video about "clean" overblows)

laurentHarp@xxxxx laurentHarp@xxxxx
Sat Jul 28 18:30:14 EDT 2018

Hello

Thanks for your feedback and the very interesting thoughts. It would
be great that you post the link about the 6o!

Yes I've read the discussion you had in the recent past about the
melody (the one about "above the rainbow", which is was quite good in
my opinion, and the discussion about the ode to joy challenge).

Actually this is an important subject for me. The ode to joy challenge
does show that, in such a context, it's very difficult to make a 3"
sound natural compared to the natural notes. Difficult, but maybe not
impossible for highly skilled players. I would be interested in
hearing what today top players would produce, now that the technique
has been refined.

But anyway, I don't think it means that low draw bends in melody are
not usable. The Ode to Joy in that position is pretty extreme. In most
melodies, a reasonable consistency of tone is possible.

When you listen to Sébastien Charlier, Jérôme Peyrelevade and David
Herzhaft's CDs, it sounds really good.

Here is an example of what I think sounds good:

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/someday-is-a-lonely-day-1

This is the beginning of a tune by Jérôme Peyrelevade. As you'll
notice, there are several bent notes in the low octave in the melody (
3", 3"', 2" and 2', the most difficult sounding bends).

And to my ears, it sounds well.

You can find the part here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l30syhlerlo6gnc/SomedayIsALonelyday.jpg?dl=0

(Note that the harmonica tab is for a lydian tuned harp, which has a
F# in 5 draw. You will also see a 1 blow bent (B) that is playable
thanks to a valve on the first hole in the harmonica used by Jérôme.)

Really, this phrase sounds good to my ears, and it is pretty melodic!

I've tried to play it myself:

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/the-first-phrase-of-someday-is
It can still be improved of course, but this seems decent to me, for
an amateur player.

Still on the rather melodic side, there is the tune from a French
singer I've tried to play:

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/et-je-lappelle-encore-1

This does contain some bends and overblows in strategic places.

By the way, the instrument has a real impact on the quality of sound.
The Brodur/Charlier harps are specifically designed for that and make
possible very good tone on bends an overblows. I would not have the
same results on other harps.

All that makes me think it would worth it to relaunch the subject and
maybe to propose a new challenge. I'm thinking about it actually!

Happy harpin'

Laurent