[Harp-L] Harmonica conventions in Europe - Some reflexion

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Fri Feb 9 19:43:06 EST 2018

> On Feb 9, 2018, at 6:23 PM, Patrice Rayon <stpat95 at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much my friend 😉
>
> The thing is not really to be behind me but to understand the idea of what I tried to make understand...
> I have a lot of respect to the ones who are doing, like the benevols and organizers of events, the ones who are making things possible...
> It is far more easier to list things that you know about on a website and share it, to take profit of trips to build a network and trying to get central attention, introduce people not ready to do things being alone but happy to group themsleves together to join their envies and do something: Local meetups, workshops, concerts, even more when you think about the interest of harmonica in society, the health etc...
> For example I thing about Viola Barend from the Netherlands who is going every year to africa to train people their , about Jean Dagba (Senegal-Dakar) that I helped a bit by the past who was giving harmonica in exchange with Gun toys from young childrens. Harmonikids and so many things people did…

Wi mon ami, we spoke about this at great length at the airport. I always like your ideas.

> Even in Europe, the distances are smaller than USA but the price for the trip plus hostels are also important for people.
> So if you don't have a good job, and also with a family in charge or other reasons...you can not always goes far away, but at least go to the concert when people are coming from long distance. I saw Adam Gussow in Paris, Jason Ricci in St Aignan and south suburb of Paris, Wade Schuman recently in south suburb of Paris. Dov Hammer in Paris few years ago... At least to be aware when something happend around, close to you if you don't have enough money.

I agree and that was my point. Most U.S. states are as large as many European countries. We ‘used’ to have local events in a few states but there doesn’t seem to be enough interest here to keep them going.
I pray that this doesn’t happen in Europe. Where the culture is different country to country. Thereby expanding the harmonica experience. Here going from state to state is like going from Portugal (for example) to Spain or France. Belgium is right next door to the Netherlands. Germany is right next door to Slovakia, Poland, Czech rep., Helvetia. Italy is close enough to Austria, Croatia, etc.

Because of travel expenses, many in the U.S. can’t afford to travel great distances either. We don’t have hostels, so motels are the only option. Luckily food is rather cheap. :) I always think of Jerome and how far he is from Paris.

> All ideas and the experience of every countries are very important to find some inspiration... For example this year I wanted to make some interviews in many countries with people who organize  meetups (Canada, USA, UK, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Iran, India etc....) because some friend from Portugal told me that he was very upset not to see enough events in Portugal. There are so many things we could do, share... Building a network of knowledge and make people profit about it is an idea... I am sure you all have ideas and HARP-L as being the very oldest and first harmonica mailing list is a good place to exchange....
>
> Patrice

Auguri…Joe-zeppi