[Harp-L] Harmonicaster Mk II vs Green Bullet dB test

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Tue Aug 28 19:35:09 EDT 2018

I did some preliminary testing to see if the Harmonicaster Mk 2 can play
louder than a microphone. At the same, moderate, amp settings, the
Harmonicaster doesn't have quite the gain that a mic has, but unlike
with a mic, you can use all of your amp's power with the Harmonicaster
so it can play much louder, and not feedback.

It's not quite scientific as I didn't use an anechoic chamber and
calibrated instruments - I used my living room and a Radio Shack sound
level meter about a meter from the amp. Using a Boss Katana 100W solid
state combo on the 100W setting and the clean channel, I could get 108
dB out of my Green Bullet ('90s vintage 520DX hecho in Mexico) before
running into feedback. The amp was nowhere near all the way up. Even
before diming gain, volume, and master controls, the Harmonicaster was
hitting 118. With the amp all the way on the clean channel I was hitting
121-122.

If I can recall stuff from my audiophile days, depending on the person
and their age, a 2-3 dB difference is audible, so 10 dBs is a pretty big
difference.

So, yes, the Harmonicaster can play significantly louder than a bullet
mic without feedback. Also, to paraphrase the late, great Frank Zappa,
"the tone will not offend your ears."