[Harp-L] The Saxony Spring (Seydel Service Technician)

Ben Bouman benbouman16@xxxxx
Fri Sep 29 12:41:00 EDT 2017

The “click” could come from the slide, touching the screws that hold the mouthpiece.
That’s why there is a rubber bumper on the se screws. After some time these start to wear down, and that could be the reason.

Ben Bouman
www.benboumanharmonicas.com <http://www.benboumanharmonicas.com/>

> Op 29 sep. 2017, om 18:18 heeft Emily Keene <esalisburykeene at xxxxx> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:49:12 -0500
> From: Greg Jones <greg at xxxxx>
> To: Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx>
> Subject: [Harp-L] The Saxony Spring (Seydel Service Technician)
>
> I'm unsure why this topic seems to continue.
>
> The original Saxony springs where thinner and hence, the slide action was
> easier when the player pushed in, but the return was not as strong.  The
> springs were occasionally prone to breaking.
>
> For any experienced chromatic player, this was minor as they knew that
> regular maintenance was part of playing chromatic and replacement of the
> spring could be accomplished within minutes during routine maintenance.
>
> However, Seydel developed a slightly thicker spring that is somewhat
> stronger and less prone to breaking.  The spring provides slightly more
> tension and since there are a large percentage of chromatic players out
> there who don't regularly maintain there chromatic, it was in the best
> interest of Seydel to use the slightly stronger spring.   Far more than 7/8
> ths of the chromatic players out there don't notice the difference between
> either.
>
> Don't be fooled on this topic or the post or the player initiating it.  If
> it wasn't the spring, it would be the pozi screws that hold the plates in
> place.  If it wasn't those screws, it would be the cardboard box that the
> Saxony is shipped in and if it wasn't the box, it would be the fuzz
> inside.  Of course, if it wasn't the fuzz, it would be the valve material
> or the air tightness or the tuning.  If not, it would be the different
> sound of the reed in hole #2 and lets NOT forget the concave design of the
> button.
>

> *Greg Jones*
> *S?eydel Service Technician?*
>
> I recently had to replace the spring on my Seydel Deluxe and sent away to
> the always great Rockin' Ron for a Saxony spring. I'm always glad when I
> take something apart, put it back together, and then have it work, and if
> anything, it works better now. I play Irish, Scottish,  and Canadian music
> on it (it's a "D", in circular tuning and I've had it configured so that
> the slide note is DOWN) and though it may be my imagination, but I think
> the return is faster, or at least more positive. A lot of the "cuts"
> (which, as Kevin Burke said, are more an interruption in a note than a
> different note) in Trad music need to lightening fast, and sometimes I take
> my whole hand and whack the button because it gives a sharper attack than
> just my index finger. Anyhoo, this thread has been interesting to me
> because the greater tension may be why I think I notice a little bit louder
> "click" when using the button. I can live with it, but I'm interested in
> what fixes any of you might suggest. Cheers, Emily

Kindest regards, met vriendelijke groeten,

www.harmonicainstituut.nl <http://www.harmonicainstituut.nl/>
www.marbletones.com <http://www.marbletones.com/>
www.marble-amps.com <http://www.marble-amps.com/>