[Harp-L] The debut of Tin + Bone

Trip trip.tunes@xxxxx
Tue Sep 19 07:58:42 EDT 2017

Thank you Rick, you can see that we all had a really fine time playing the concert. You know how these things go, it's a bit of a pick up band with only one rehearsal an hour before downbeat and some luck.

The young lady in the middle, Nora Brown had been the student of a dear friend of mine from the age of five, she just turned 12. Sadly my friend, Shlomo Pestcoe passed away two years ago and every time I play with Nora I can't help but take solace in the fact that she is literally his living legacy. Just this summer she took home the blue ribbon in the youth Banjo category at the Appalachian string band festival also known as Clifftop. Not only does she play a very arcane and specific Banjo style but her vocals are routed in the high Lonesome style epitomized by Roscoe Holcomb.

A quick note about my approach to playing this style of music commonly called "old-time".  I simply state the melody in unison with the fiddle and banjo, there's very little improvisation other than slight variations on the tune, it's almost trance music and when played well with a group of like-minded musicians it is most satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Trip Henderson
https://soundcloud.com/trip-henderson