[Harp-L] ii-V-I, But Lacking Resolution

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Wed Sep 13 15:49:59 EDT 2017

Chord substitutions are not worked out ahead of time in most cases. At this level, the musicians just play.

>>but an improvised melody (by, say, a harmonica player) over chord substitutions (by, say, the band (or a keyboard or guitar player)) at the same time?  Seems like things might start to get rather woolly.  How does that work in the wild?<<

At a certain level, it is called "in the moment - listening and responding". Here is where memorized patterns and licks don't work as well as "knowing". Once you reach this level, you can soar like an eagle over the changes, looking down and crafting ideas that flow through them. Getting there is totally worth the effort.