[Harp-L] Overheating/Untempering Reeds

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Tue Sep 12 23:17:24 EDT 2017

Brass does not  temper and anneal with dissolved carbon as does steel. Quenching brass has no effect.

Soft brass is normally hardened by rolling.  That breaks the metal grains into smaller ones. It is called work-hardening.
It is done to the brass before it is made into reeds.

It is unlikely that you got the brass hot enough to cause the large grains to re-form.
It is more likely that you have a mechanical problem with centering or gapping.
The dull bit may have caused you to drill the hole in the wrong place.

If you are using a screw to attach the reed, you may be able to correct an off-center hole.
IF you are using a rivet, an off-center hole is fatal.

Look at the reed against a backlight and make sure that it has a uniform clearance on both sides and the end.

The gap size should be larger than its higher-pitched neighbor and smaller than its lower pitched neighbor.

Vern