[Harp-L] WAS: open covers, NOW: human nature and perception

Robert Hale robert@xxxxx
Sat Oct 14 13:51:37 EDT 2017

The desire to learn something new, or to improve something already in
place, is positive and admirable.
The desire to "do something" rather than nothing, nags at us too. Every
innovator or inventor can show you many tries that failed.

Most of us deal with daily life on the basis of "it appears to me..." In
the sciences, people learn to park those impressions while attempting to
measure repeatedly and accurately. These results often  bump what we
thought was so.

Much of what we talk about on the list (or any specialty) is this dance
between measurable evidence, and "I think so."