[Harp-L] Screw Connector Cable Durability - Tone Defender Cables

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Thu Nov 9 14:02:57 EST 2017

To save space inside the unit, I use a Switchcraft 2501MP screw-on
connector on the Harmonicaster electric harmonica. While I was
developing the production version, I had Christopher Richards make me up
a Tone Defender Cable to use as a reference when testing output and
voicing of the pickups.

First off, let me say that it sounds great, the quality of the materials
is first rate, the construction quality is likely better than you'll
find on just about any consumer product, and Christopher's customer
service is top shelf. I should point out that both ends of the cable,
the screw-on connector and the 1/4" plug at the other end, are
constructed with equal robustness.

To give you an idea of how well constructed and durable the Tone
Defender Cable is, when I introduced the Harmonicaster at the summer
NAMM show in Nashville in July, I hired Stephen Hanner, a very talented
young harp player active in the Nashville scene, to demonstrate my gizmo
since I'm a rudimentary harmonica player at best. One of the features of
the Harmonicaster is that under normal playing conditions it won't
create acoustic feedback like a microphone will. To demonstrate that,
Stephen would turn the clean channel of a 50W Crate Vintage Club amp
with 3 X 10s all the way up, and then using the Tone Defender Cable he'd
swing the Harmonicaster back and forth across the face of the amp, maybe
6 inches from the grille.

The Harmonicaster isn't heavy - it weigh just a few grams more than a
Green Bullet mic with a pro quality harp, but it has enough mass to put
some strain on a cable if you swing it like we were doing. We did it
many, many times over the course of the show and when I got home to
Detroit the Tone Defender Cable was still in brand-new condition. I'd
say that it's even up to the rigors of swinging the Harmonicaster (or
your mic) around like Roger Daltrey's microphone for a little bit of
showbiz:

https://youtu.be/N-_VYg0IckE

In short, great guy, great product.

Ronnie Schreiber