[Harp-L] James Cotton RIP

info@xxxxx info@xxxxx
Fri Mar 17 10:53:15 EDT 2017

Like most of us, James was a big influence me as well. I had the pleasure of
hanging out with him in Vancouver about 1980. He was playing the Commodore
there. I was playing with Hock Walsh (the singer from Downchild Blues Band).
I was so broke, that I was running out of harps (wasn¹t gettin¹ paid too
much on that tour!). Hanging in his hotel room, I asked James if he might
have an old F harp I could have to get me through the next gig or so. He
said he had a Blues Harp but that a bottle of Brute aftershave had broken in
his suitcase and all over the harp and didn¹t know if would help me. I could
smell it as he pulled it out. Yikes. I really needed that F harp! I tried
it. It was awful, & couldn¹t be played much at all, (even if you had a thing
for the taste of aftershave). But I had a harp from the great ³Cotton² and I
think that meant more than my need for a working F harp. He was a very down
to earth guy & it was great to have a chance to hang out with him & the
band.

Roly Platt
http://rolyplatt.com/
Slogan: ³Serious Harmonica Playing²Š followed by ³No seriously, I play
harmonica²