[Harp-L] First Uploads on YouTube

Kevin kham27@xxxxx
Sun Mar 12 13:13:54 EDT 2017

You're on the right path Hal! That sounded great.  As far as constructive
criticism goes, I don't know about "destroys the melody". To a seriously
trained ear or serious music critic/afficionado they will notice that you
are off a couple notes here and there. For the majority of people you are
playing for, you are indeed doing the harmonica justice. Folks that just
blow chords and play sloppy single notes I would class as a "wannabe
diatonic player". Even then. I think labels are silly. I find them more
discouraging than anything. Having said that, this forum and others will
bring out serious critiques that are meant to help improve your playing.

To offer another suggestion. I am not familiar with Harp Ninja (it sounds
like a good program), but I do know Transcribe software. That is what I
use. It has a keyboard that you can play the note and then play on your
harmonica and you will be able to hear a waivering or beating when your
note is sightly off from true pitch. This software is available through
Carlos Del Juncos website and is a great $40 CAD investment. You can insert
music and slow it down and break apart licks. Carlos is an invaluable
resource to teach you how to learn how to use it or if your computer
literate you can figure it out yourself.

Dave Barret's site is great especially if you want to be a real musician
and understand music theory and reading music. I use artistworks.com with
the tutelage of Howard Levy.

Teachers are always good, as are harmonica workshops and retreats!

See you in June!

Kevin