[Harp-L] Nominate someone for a SPAH award (deadline June 30)

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Thu Jun 22 13:04:28 EDT 2017

Richard - why do you talk about secrets?

This implies some sort of skullduggery, and I assure you that there is none. When I took charge of the SPAH awards process in 2010, I clarified rules and procedures and dissemination of information to SPAH members to strengthen the consistency, integrity, and fairness of the process and to widen the field of candidates.

I also undertook a publicity effort, in progress right now for this year's awards, to remind members to make nominations, and to perhaps stimulate interest in SPAH among non-members. (For a brief overview of SPAH, check out http://www.spah.org/content.asp?contentid=16

All SPAH members are encouraged to nominate candidates for SPAH awards. Anyone can examine the awards packet, which includes the rules, requirements, and procedures for each award, lists previous recipients (who are not eligible to receive the same award twice), and includes nomination forms (which you don't need to use; they're just for convenience) at http://www.spah.org/Files/Convention%20awards.pdf

In 2016, we made the list of nominees public, via announcements at the ceremony, with a brief description of the virtues of each nominee. That proved cumbersome during a long evening, and perhaps there's a better way to do it. Once I have all the nominations in hand, I could post something on the web and announce the location on the various forums, just as I'm presently doing to stimulate nominations.
Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica