[Harp-L] blues camp

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Fri Jun 9 13:15:22 EDT 2017

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Mick Zaklan <mzaklan at xxxxx> wrote:
>
>>   Nice teaching line-up this year for the Chicago Blues Fest Blues Camp:
>> http://www.chicagobluescamp.com/blues-masters.  Pretty impressive roster
>> on
>> the harp end:  Joe Filisko, Billy Branch, Martin Lang, and Matt Skoller.
>>   Back in 1969, when I started, you were on your own.  No YouTube, no
>> clinics.  Just the Tony Glover instruction book and the stack of records
>> you collected.  Some guys would intentionally give you the wrong info to
>> throw you off the track.  Gigs were scarce, competition intense.
>>   Whole different ballgame today.
>>
>> Mick Zaklan

I started on chromatic first. 1956. Then diatonic in 59. You WERE on your own. Not even a booklet.
I didn’t know any other players. So I never had anyone try to throw me off. I went down the train
yard and ‘waited’ for an epiphany. One day I got an overblow on hole 9 while trying to imitate the
screeching train wheels as it was coming to a stop. Sadly, I never really pursued harp over the years.

smo-joe