[Harp-L] Summer Blues Harmonica Classes in Philadelphia PA

zepharpo@xxxxx zepharpo@xxxxx
Tue Jul 11 16:20:43 EDT 2017

From:  Seth Holzman, Email: zepharpo at xxxxx
           Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Dear Fellow Harmonica Enthusiast:
    Announcing Summer Blues Harmonica Classes in Philadelphia PA!
    Summer is here and it's a great time to work on your harmonica playing skills!
    Register now!

    I will be teaching two 8-week Blues Harmonica classes this summer on Monday nights - Intermediate to Advanced Blues Harmonica (BH3/4) from 6:30 to 7:45 PM and
Intermediate Blues Harmonica (BH2) from 8:00 to 9:15 PM.
    Where?  At the Philadelphia Folksong Society (PFS) building at their new location - 6156 Ridge Ave. (in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia), Philadelphia, PA 19128.
    The room is air conditioned!
    When?  The classes will begin Monday July 17 and run through Sept. 18 (no class Aug. 14 or Sept. 4).
    Which class is the right one for you?
    If you have already taken Blues Harmonica 1 with me (or have similar skills), then Intermediate Blues Harmonica (BH2) is probably right for you.
    If you have already taken Blues Harmonica 1 and additional harmonica classes, or have done a bunch of practicing and have similar higher level skills, then Intermediate to Advanced Blues Harmonica (BH3/4) is probably right for you.
    Registration:  Registration will be handled by PFS.  (I don't personally handle any of the registration.)
    Each 8 week course will cost $95.00 ($85.00 for PFS members).  A textbook fee of $8.00 will be required for each of the Blues Harmonica 1 and Blues Harmonica 2 textbooks.  You may already have the Blues Harmonica 1 textbook.)  Bring your textbook money to the first class.
    You may register for these classes through the Philadelphia Folksong Society (PFS).  Call them at 215-247-1300 or go to www.pfs.org.  If you go to their website, click “Our Organization” and then click “PFS Music Lessons.”
    (Note: In the Fall, Winter and Spring, my harmonica classes are also offered by the Mt. Airy Learning Tree (MALT).  However, you will not be able to register through MALT for these Summer harmonica classes.  MALT is not involved in these Summer classes.).

    Here are some brief course descriptions:

Intermediate Blues Harmonica (BH2):  (8:00 to 9:15 PM)
    Let's continue working on the songs from Blues Harmonica 1 (BH1), like Slim Harpo’s "Something Inside Me" and "Raining In My Heart,” Little Walter’s “Last Night" and "Hoochie Coochie Man” and Sonny Terry’s "Bring It On Home To Me.”  We’ll work on techniques like bending, tongue-blocking and tongue-slapping.  I want to encourage each student to suggest a song or part of a song they are interested in working on.  Bring a 10-hole diatonic key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band (Model 1896), or equivalent, to first class.  (If you have them, bring other key harps such as G, A, Bb, D and F.)  Required text may be purchased for $8.00 from the instructor the first night.  (Optional: bring a recording device.)

Intermediate to Advanced Blues Harmonica (BH3/4):  (6:30 to 7:45 PM)
    You’ve been playing blues harmonica for several (or many) years and you want to kick it up to a higher level.  You are ready to tackle the best Blues harmonica playing that has been recorded.  Let’s dig in and work on songs like Little Walter’s “Juke” and Sonny Boy Williamson's "Keep It To Yourself."  Also, each student is encouraged to suggest a song or part of a song they are interested in working on.  Let’s work on the songs that excite you!  Bring a 10-hole diatonic key of C-major harmonica such as the Hohner Special 20, Hohner Marine Band (Model 1896), or equivalent, to first class.  (If you have them, bring other key harps such as G, A, Bb, D and F.)  Required text may be purchased for $8.00 from the instructor the first night.  (Optional: bring a recording device.)
    If you prefer, I am available for private harmonica lessons.
    Email me if you have any questions.

Note: If you are interested in one of these harmonica classes, please sign up as soon as possible (immediately).  Because class size is limited, the class could fill up, and then you will be closed out of the class.  If there are not enough people registered for a class, it will be canceled.

    I've been teaching harmonica classes since 1975 in the Boston MA area, in the Syracuse NY area, in New York City, and finally in the Philadelphia PA area (I've moved several times over the years).
    I have been teaching private harmonica lessons since the early 1970's.
    I've had the pleasure of sitting in with Muddy Waters, Koko Taylor, Roomful of Blues, Magic Slim, Dave "Honeyboy" Edwards, John Brim, Vanessa Collier and others.  And I've had the great pleasure of gigging with Ronnie Earl, John Mooney, and many others.
    I have a Bachelor of Arts in Music degree from Syracuse University.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    I hope to see you soon!
    Best,
    Seth