[Harp-L] Suzuki Weighted Combs

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Wed Jan 11 22:20:15 EST 2017

I did a long review article on 14-hole chromatics awhile back, including the weighted Sirius S-56 and the unweighted SCX-56.

The harps played very differently, and the combs and reedplates appeared identical, with the obvious differences being the straight tuning on the Sirius vs. cross tuning on the SCX, and the wrights in the Sirius comb.

You can read about them, and hear playing samples, in the 4-part series of articles titled
Review of 14-Hole Chromatics, available at

http://winslowyerxa.com/articles/harmonica-sessions/

Later I tried swapping the mouthpieces and slides between the two harps and recording identical passages to see if anyone on the Slidemeister chromatic forum could identify which harp was which:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2901194/Suzuki%2056%20Example%201.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2901194/Suzuki%2056%20Example%202.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2901194/Suzuki%2056%20Example%203.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2901194/Suzuki%2056%20Example%204.wav

(NOTE: you might have to replace te % symbols with spaces to get the links to work.)

What do your ears tell you?

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica