[Harp-L] Improve Your Playing - Use a Tuner - Chromatic Tuners 4Sale

Chris Hofstader cdh@xxxxx
Mon Sep 12 16:13:17 EDT 2016

Hi,

Since I started working with Tomlin as an instructor, I found that GarageBand on my iPad has become an incredibly useful tool for my practicing because it has both a metronome and a chromatic tuner that can easily be used by a blind person. The metronome works fine but making a wood block sound at a preset interval is a pretty simple bit of software; the GB tuner, however, is especially nice as I can’t see a needle or or a bunch of LEDs and GB speaks the percentage above or below the nearest note. So, if I hit a bend incorrectly, I’ll hear something like "12% above B flat” and it’ll tell me if I’m getting closer or worse until I have it figured out.

I know there’s at least one other blind person on this list so, when I saw your email, I thought I’d describe how one of we blinks can find a tool that will work for us. An iPad Mini costs about $325 so it’s a pricey option when a $25 bit of gear can replace it but it does the job nicely and, if one cares to, they can record their practices with both the metronome ticking and tuner speaking and review it all later. It’s not an ideal system but it’s the best thing I could cobble together.

HH,
cdh