[Harp-L] Bending, Blues Harmonica for Dummies, and Lee Oskar Harmonicas

Gary Lehmann gnarlyheman@xxxxx
Wed Oct 26 01:50:53 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Bob Marsolais <bob at xxxxx> wrote:

> Winslow is able to get a good bend out of
> hole 5 (F), but I only get a very slight pitch change.

Right, there is a small bend possible.

> But the notation chart on the Lee Oskar website
> indicates hole 5 doesn't bend and figure 11-9 in Winslow's book shows the
> bend as a "F~".  I'm confused - how did Winslow bend hole 5?
>
> The same way all notes get bent--vocal resonance.
Winslow is skilled--and he can bend 5 draw down pretty much to the note on
5 blow.
But it's easy to try to bend too far, and you WILL break 5 draw if you are
not careful.
Use a tuner so you can learn how to bend only as much as you need to (if
you care to bend 5 draw at all).