[Harp-L] Bending, Blues Harmonica for Dummies, and Lee Oskar Harmonicas

Bob Marsolais bob@xxxxx
Wed Oct 26 00:51:48 EDT 2016

I just started playing the harp and am using Winslow's "Blues Harmonica for
Dummies" book.  I'm working my way through chapter 11 about bending using my
Lee Oskar C harp.  There is a drill where you bend holes 4, 5, and 6.  On
the CD that comes with the book, Winslow is able to get a good bend out of
hole 5 (F), but I only get a very slight pitch change.  I can get a bend out
of all other holes - the tone may be bad on some of them, but at least the
pitch isn't too far off.  But the notation chart on the Lee Oskar website
indicates hole 5 doesn't bend and figure 11-9 in Winslow's book shows the
bend as a "F~".  I'm confused - how did Winslow bend hole 5?

BTW, Winslow's book is great.  I use it as my main in-depth teacher and
Annie Raines' DVD for additional perspective and demonstration.

Thanks everyone!

---