[Harp-L] Tongue Blocking and Getting STRONG 2 Draws and 3 Draw Bends

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Tue Oct 18 18:28:55 EDT 2016

First thing I'd look at is the size of your mouth opening when you tongue block. If you're crowding the hole, it can make response suffer. It will actually cause a semitone bend on Hole 4, but it can cause Holes 2 and 3 to be unresponsive. If your Hole 2 draws are not coming in, this may be the cause.

The other thing to check on is tongue placement inside the oral cavity. For unbent notes you want a big, open chamber, with the tongue lying on the floor. When you bend, you can raise it to change the size of the cavity and tune it to the bent note.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica