[Harp-L] The "newest" Stradivarius of Harmonicas!

Tom Halchak info@xxxxx
Sun May 8 16:44:38 EDT 2016

​​The subject of comb material pops up frequently and the workshop I hosted
at SPAH 2013 (The Great Comb Debate) is often cited.  I always find it
interesting that people who were not there, did not participate and have no
idea how the testing was set up and done feel free to dismiss the results.
Yet 100% of the people who were there and did participate came away
absolutely convinced that tone is affected by comb material – including the
great Michael Rubin.  There were plenty of doubters at the beginning of the
workshop but none at the end.  When we play music, it is not a scientific
experiment that can be measured by statistics.  It is an emotional
experience that we feel as we listen to it.  You can offer all the
scientific mumbo jumbo you want but you’re just being stubborn.  You are in
denial.  I have been in the custom comb business for over 5 years and in
that time have manufactured and sold many 1000’s of combs constructed from
Wood, Corian, Acryic, Aluminum, Brass and Hogany.  I have received feedback
form 100’s upon 100’s of satisfied customers offering their opinions about
tones produced by different comb materials – often with amazement.  But the
naysayers insist otherwise and these people must be suffering from some
form of mass hysteria.  It reminds me of the mother who, when watching the
parade go by said, “Look!  Everybody is out of step but my son.”

I had a conversation with Steve Baker at SPAH back in 2013 on the subject
of comb material.  I was able to find something he posted on these pages
back in 2009.