[Harp-L] Mental Practice

Chris Hofstader cdh@xxxxx
Fri Dec 16 17:39:20 EST 2016

> phil: That's the advantage of mental playing: perfection.
> You always practice perfect execution. In real life, the odds favor imperfect practice. But mental practice is always perfect execution.
>
> cdh: I don’t find this to be true. The more I’ve actually practiced something, the better I get while visualizing. When I’m learning something new, I stumble in my head as much as I do with harp in hand. Whether mental repetitions would make the physical playing better or if it would make the visualizations play more accurately remains an unknown, it’s only been a few months since I first noticed the earliest of these visual experiences and they’ve evolved and gotten more accurate and complex quite rapidly, hence, I’ve not the opportunity to test this.

I suppose I could try to learn something new and challenging for me at my skill level and go a week or so only practicing it in my head and then hear what comes out of the harp when I try to recall it for playing. I could continue my daily practice ritual on anything else I’m messing around with excepting the lone thing I’m practicing in head only. It’d be an interesting experiment but, with a sample size of one, results will be strictly anecdotal, made even less useful in that I also designed the experiment and it’s impossible to control for bias let alone blind it.

cdh: I’ve started taking lots of notes on this phenomena and am sharing with a guy up at NC State who actually works on this stuff for real and he’s intrigued. Maybe he’ll talk to a few other people who try to play an instrument with both congenital and acquired blindness about their visual experiences, if any, regarding music. We did a literature search and couldn’t find anything but I must admit, we only looked at scholar.google.com <http://scholar.google.com/> and our search hasn’t been exhaustive yet.

Happy hacking,
cdh

HH,
cdh