[Harp-L] How important is it to be able to read music?

EVANS owenpevans@xxxxx
Thu Dec 8 00:40:15 EST 2016

Hi All,
So far we have heard very specific answers from a few members. Thanks for the input. That said, I am finding this question to bring polarized answers and it is for this reason I shall try to answer in a way which will come from a musician rather than a harmonica player.

If music is a truly universal language, then there must be clear communication of the essence of music. So many years ago, music was defined and thereafter a language was also defined to help all musicians understand one another. You needn’t speak English so as to convey the information required to play any piece of music. That said, you’d better be able to ‘read’ music if you wish to play music with a Japanese pianist; a Russian guitarist; a Zambian percussionist and a Czech bass player all who don’t speak English but love the blues and need you to blow harp with them.

If we then extrapolate this knowledge to actually learning something about other musical instruments, we may soon be able to convey our specific musical needs to one another when we get together to jam or rehearse with our band members. An example is how few folks take the time to learn the vernacular of people who play another instrument. Talked to any drummers lately and asked them to play ‘four on the floor’ or ‘triplets’ maybe ‘a double shuffle’? Some of you know what this does to help the music and ‘all’ of us know what it does when there is ‘no’ communication like this. The only way to have a call and response is to actually know what the other musician is communicating to you.

Folks, I am not pontificating here. I studied music since I was 5 ( I am 65). I studied classical guitar and I played all kinds of guitars throughout my shortened term of 46 years. I have a sister & several cousins who are terrific piano players. My cousin is a world class drummer. My uncles played guitar and banjo. And everyone could sing. We all communicated but especially with sheet music! We have always been able to communicate with other musicians and still do. I have played harmonica for 32 months because an accident took away my ability to play the guitar. Same language different instrument. Damn glad to make music again!

Bob, if you wish to play blues harp; you need to know the blues scale! That’s reading music. It will thereafter help if you know what a flat 3rd and a flat 5th are and why these notes make things sound bluesy. You need to know what the structure of a 12 bar blues is about and why. In fact the more you know about your craft, the more proficient you will become as a musician. After all, we are musicians first and harmonica players second.

In my opinion, the best advice is to learn all that you can and retain it. Go slowly and learn something new everyday. Repeat it for several tomorrows and in time, you will be a musician who is also a badass harp player! Hope your journey is long and rewarding.