Re: [Harp-L] musical choices vs life expectancy vis a vis The Polka

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 4:18 PM, JON KIP <jon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Do a google search on the phrase:
>
> The Mysterious Connection Between Genre And A Musician's Life Expectancy
>
> Lots of information, a tiny sample is here:
>
> "....... the research revealed that country blues and gospel singers can expect to enjoy pretty much the same life expectancy as the general U.S. population. On the other hand, R&B, pop, folk, and “world” music (such as polka) singers had lower life spans than the rest of the U.S. population.”

The statistical results depend on the selection of the sample.  I suspect that they included mostly famous and successful rock singers in theirs.

At age 87, I have probably already beaten the odds. Because I earned my living as an engineer and played guitar and harmonica for amusement, I doubt that I am a part of the statistical sample that includes “musicians."  No sudden wealth, smoking, drugs, excessive alcohol, touring, or staying up late on a regular basis.  My mundane lifestyle has focussed on 9-to-5 desk jockeying, Little League, and crabgrass.

> And the "this article probably doesn't apply to me and I'm going to sing more Polkas" escape clause…..

Be careful!  Too many “yippy-yippy-yays” and “yodel-adee-hoos” would certainly shorten your years.

It is hard to imagine that accordion, clarinet, or tuba playing would much affect longevity.
I posit that dancing the polka would contribute to longevity because it is aerobic exercise.

> "While the percentage of musicians who die young may be larger than the general population, this does not necessarily mean that music is the cause for this.”

Have they taken starvation into account?

Vern