Re: [Harp-L] Light box for reed work.

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Trying to accurately fit a new reed to a previously spot-welded Suzuki has
>> almost driven me insane.

Because of the close reed-slot clearance, replacing a reed by any method is tricky.

>> Even with the help of Vern Smith's video (no spot welded reeds there) it's
>> still a problem. With no original rivet hole to locate the reed, it's
>> extremely difficult to do.

Using the original rivet holes can create difficulty unless they are in exactly the correct location.

Have you seen Brendan Powerâs video?  http://youtu.be/kChMKU7LEVo
One problem that I see with this method is the drilled hole is in an arbitrary location on both the plate and the reed.  Thatâs fine for the reed that is match-drilled at the same time.  However, the hole in the plate cannot be used to align another reed in the same slot. Enlarging the hole in the reed makes it possible to align the reed in the slot but requires adjustments.  The tendency of the reed to twist as you tighten the screw is also a problem.

>> As the plates are an aluminium alloy of some sort, you can't solder, and I
>> have, on Vern's suggestion, been using super glue (but haven't tried the
>> baking-soda additive yet, Vern)

The main function of the soda is to make the glue set instantaneously.

>> That seems to work fine, but after three tries, using either tape or
>> cigarette paper to get slot clearance, I haven't got it right.

I found that looking at videos and watching Sissy Jones work was helpful, but ultimately I had to make my own tools and work out my own methods. Like you, I had difficulty following someone elseâs recipe. The ability to rapidly and reliably replace reeds is the ultimate harmonica technicianâs skill.  Iâm in awe of the old-timers who can do it with rivets.

Vern