Re: [Harp-L] Advice About Being a Harmonica Teacher

Not sure if this is helpful, but from the student's side, I'm an adult
(almost 40) and I do take regular (every other week) lessons. I cancel
infrequently, but it does happen. I think that's just a fact of life once
you're settled into a career. I suspect the average student is learning for
fun rather than focusing on harmonica as a career, so sometimes the hobby
of playing has to be placed further down the priority list.

I've been taking regular lessons almost all year. Before that, lessons were
a little more sporadic because I placed a lesser priority on them. But what
initially got me into taking lessons was meeting a teacher that fit my
style of learning. I take lessons through Skype video chat with him. Even
if I lived anywhere near him (we're actually two time zones away from each
other), I don't know if I could commit to in-person lessons with the same
frequency. For instance, I tried taking some in-person music theory lessons
locally, and I found I was frequently cancelling lessons. So for me, it's a
flexibility thing in addition to the teacher's style (which is very
methodical; I need that approach).

I'd say commitment is really what drives people to put time and money into
any hobby. If they don't have it, well ... there's probably little you can
do about that.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Chris