Re: [Harp-L] Country tuned harps: a tuning chart

On Aug 6, 2015, at 3:56 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

> The information on precise setups for the Country tuning is very interesting to me.  I confess that I've always acquired country-tuned harps either by
> 1) buying a harp in that tuning, or
> 2) tuning the draw 5 reed by ear.  In this case, I just tune it until it sounds good.  (Then I stop tuning.)

Yeah, I'm pretty much in that proverbial boat. I have a Seiko tuner. It's very sensitive. If someone were cracking gum a block away, the needle will move. As for tuning within a couple cents? Ha, I'm not that good. No, I tune by ear till the draw chord is sweet. At least to MY ear.

Oh, and btw, I hate to bust anyone's dirigible, but a harp is NEVER in tune. Not even lately. Otherwise why would one have to tune..then let the harp set a while, and then tune AGAIN? No, we can get close and that's about it.

Now don't get me wrong. I realize that there is a whole cottage industry..and in some cases tantamount to a 'castle' industry involving tunings. And I have nothing BUT admiration for those pioneers that are engaged in that. BUT, the moment you tune a harp, it is already degrading.

I have to muse at these people who are anal to the point of getting a harp spot on on all reeds, THEN going up and blowing the living bejeezes out of them. And most of time at a venue that is infested with loud outside events and their ancillary noises. Breaking glassware, dragging chairs, falling silverware. yakety yak..don't talk back, and all that jazz.

Nope, out there in the gig players world. That world that's worlds away from the concert players world, tuning is under appreciated and soon reaches the realm of diminishing returns..time wise. And frankly, I don't have the time to be that fussy. At a fest, where everyone is sitting there with their ears glued to your every note, maybe a somewhat accurate tuning would be nice.

smo-joe