Re: [Harp-L] Avenger Awesomeness

Damn Ron. You own stock in Squeal Killer or what?

Before this gets turned into a Squeal Killer thread and all sorts of questions get sent Sonny's way, let me say catagorically in my experience, and I know personally of other SJ owners with the same experience, the SK or a Kinder AFB are totally redundant and will, despite any other claims, change the tone. It may be slight but it is always going to be something. You've added a circuit which was not part of the amp design. Of course it will. I know of no internationally known SJ endorser who puts such a device in front.

On one occasion ,just for the hell of it, when I was trying to compete with our main man guitarist and our world class drummer who sometimes likes to kick the hell out if the kit - which I love - I had the Super Cruncher bridged with the Normal channel flat out and the Bright channel around 7 and not a hint of feedback. And to be honest I may have been plenty loud out front but on that occasion just wasn't filling the same sort of space as the guitars on stage. It may also have been I could have added even more projection with the Treble control. It may have evn been where I was standing on stage, pretty close to the amp which was on the floor. It certainly was not something that could have been improved by a pedal and with other more restrained bands the SC has more than enough grunt. With the Avenger I fill all the space a man could want and I've got head room to spare. Why the hell would anybody want to stick a pedal in front of it?

When I mentioned the hotter preamp tube causing a little feedback problem I do mean a little. It was nothing like the full on cat in heat feedback one usually gets, almost a perception more than a reality. It was instantly cured by simply backing off the Treble about 1/4-1/2 a notch which also allowed me, if I wanted, to up the volume by about the same amount or even higher if I wanted to. Again, one tweak on a knob as opposed to $200 bucks for a pedal plus another thing to pack, unpack and generally mess with.

Now to be clear, I've got a Kinder AFB+ and I found it very useful with small amps or in situations where I have to use whatever is handed me, usually a guitar amp of some sort. I understand the Squeal Killer is possibly an even better device for those situations and it is cheaper. A useful tool to have no doubt. But neither one is necessary or even wanted when using a SJ amp.