[Harp-L] random contribution to the list regarding a note.

Admittedly, I'm not a diatonic player, just a woodwind player gone astray and playing so-so jazz on the chromatic,just for the fun of it (yeah, that's enough to have you stop reading right here),  but I do, at times, find good reading on this list and thought I'd add a random bit of information for anyone interested, interested in feigning interest, or only interested-adjacent, regarding the playing of a note. Any note. In a phrase, out of a phrase, or just on a dare of some sort, or to annoy your dog.

I've been listening to some samples (the old usage of that word) of some players and it seems that, in more than a few cases, the ends of the notes are just disregarded.... at times, each note sounds like it's both started and cut off with the tongue...even on slow tunes...

My sixty + years at this silly "let's try to make a living playing music and never have a Real Job" thing, tell me that both  ends of notes are important.

this is not a rant, but an educated observation, that might be somewhat helpful. Or, of course, simply annoying and "who does he think he is?" kind of thing. (On my website, there's a page called that, if anyone has too much time on their hands. That page was included in the site because, at times, I forget who I am).

envelopes, it turns out , are not only for electronic sounds. How a note is ended can really be a thing of beauty , or , you know, the other thing.

ok, end of what I hope isn't perceived as a rant, rather than what it really is .....practice-avoidance on my part
jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.