[Harp-L] Re: The Reason that Overbends Work

Your input is always appreciated, but I would suggest the example of the tornado to witness the strength of the air at the point of focus (nearest the ground); the wedge-shape on the non-rivet side between the end of the slot and the reed-tip acts like some funnel [the tornado is also referenced as "funnel-cloud] and does focus to the airflow at the narrowest point; at the narrowest point then the air-speed or air-pressure must increase and that increase is indeed focused at the tip of the reed instead of evenly spread as in the closing direction.

As for the different effective length issue as you wrote then it should also be considered that the oscillation into the slot from the rivet side is blocked from the rivet to the start of the slot and therefore the slot length is effectively shortened equally on the rivet side.

/Neil Ashby II (" https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004575466934 ")