Re: [Harp-L] a stuck reed or something

On Sep 3, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Robert Piscura <bpiscura@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a seydel low f harmonica that some dummy played without brushing his teeth!  I took it apart and used soap and water the clean. I didn't take the reed plates out. The 5 draw make little sound , kind of like when I couldn't play the 2 draw because I was sucking too hard. I don't want to ruin the harp so advice on how to diagnose and repair would be great.
> Bob Piscura

If you remove the plate, you can probably see the obstruction.  With one eye closed, look through the clearance of the offending reed toward a bright light such as a fluorescent tube.

Run a thin (.001" to .002”) steel blade around the clearance of the offending reed.  You can cut one from a feeler gauge with scissors.  The thin metal strip from an anti-theft tag also works.

Vern