Re: [Harp-L] RP355 SC/HB

Just a thought on the "single coil" versus "humbucker" settings on guitar
effect units:

Single coil pickups are considered to have more bite and sparkle.

Humbuckers are more warm and heavy.

Those modeling options change the equalization of the different frequencies
already present in the guitar sound.

I suspect the reason there isn't much of an audible difference is that
there is no high end on the signal passing through which can become more
apparent. it could be that the harmonica doesn't have the upper
harmonics/partials of a guitar, so there's nothing in that frequency range
which is targeted by the SC/HB modeling.. If that's the case, there's
nothing to be done about the instrument's characteristics.

It's also possible that the microphone being used, as part of making things
warmer, might filter out that component, so there's nothing further down
signal to work with.

Lastly, it could be that the amp being used filters out that upper
frequency area, so no matter what gets passed through the signal chain,
it's all stripped out at the last step.

If it's the last case, it's possible that a more transparent amp in
combination with the guitar effect would allow one to hear that difference,
and to get more variation in tone than what the amp is imposing on
everything.

If it's about the microphone doing the frequency filtering, then trying a
mic which doesn't impose a particular character on the sound might give
more flexibility when using unit like the RP.

It could even be a matter of only the last two things stacking up.

If I were going to check it out, I'd be running some recordings of
non-electric harp through the RP, something like Phil Wiggins, and then see
if the SC/HB switch makes any difference. If not, that's that. If it does
make a difference, then I'd consider getting a more transparent tone from
the mic and amp, and then use the effect to do all my tone shaping.

I don't have an RP, but it would be interesting to know whether that
high-frequency component exists in the harmonica's sound. A lot of gigging
guitar players have been going straight to the board, and there's no reason
a harmonica player couldn't do the same with the RP as a versatile fly rig.