Re: [Harp-L] Sometimes ....

With all the clarinet talk, I just can't help but post a link to a youtube video by the New York Gypsy All Stars. Yes, it's a few years old, but it's quite contemporary. I'm so amazed by these guys, all monster musicians.

No effects being used by the clarinetist, but you can imagine it going there on this cut:

http://youtu.be/XwWuPlYQyyQ

As for effects on the harmonica in general, I think there's a pot of musical gold in there somewhere for the player who finds new sounds that are appealing and totally unique to the harmonica. Too often, I think, the average listener will equate the effected sound with another instrument (be it a distorted guitar, organ, or whatever). There's nothing wrong with emulating other instruments and sometimes it's exactly what you want to do, but for me it's not the holy grail.

As an example, there's a wonderful jazz bassoonist by the name of Paul Hanson who does some pretty rocked out stuff with effects. But often, if you're just listening and not watching, and he's using a distortion effect (along with others), it might as well be a distorted guitar -- the sound is quite similar (well, except that no guitar player I've heard can play quite like this guy). On the other hand, when he plays without the distortion effect, there's no mistaking the instrument, and it's a totally beautiful and appropriate sound for jazz and other modern music. There's a great picture of his live rig here: http://paulhansonmusic.com/gear

Another interesting example is the great sax player Joshua Redman, who last time I saw him live (probably 5-6 years ago) had an expensive eventide harmonizer rack on stage. It had a very clean and powerful pitch shift (set to one octave down) that retained his amazing tone and sounded phenomenal. He was, I believe, inspired by the late great Eddie Harris in his use of the device.

The point I'm trying to make is, for those who choose to play with effects, to search for the sounds that bring out the instrument's unique qualities as well as your unique qualities.

- Slim.

www.slidemanslim.com