Re: [Harp-L] Hole order to learn overblows? 6 blow then what?

Holes 1 through 6 can produce overblows.

Holes 1 through 6 also have draw bends.

Holes 7 through 10 produce overdraws.

Holes 7 through 10 also have blow bends.

One reason you may get confusing answers about overblows is that some players fail to distinguish between blow bends and overblows. Blow 7 through 10 are blow bends, not overblows. But some players mistake them for overblows.

Bending notes usually refers to lowering the pitch of a note. With this kind of bend, you can slide the pitch down in a smooth curve.

Notes that bend down are Draw 1 through 6 and Blow 7 through 10.

Overblows are produced by the draw reed and sound a note approximately one semitone higher than the draw reed. This is the consistent, reliable, relationship between an overblow and another note in the same hole - the relationship between the draw reed and the overblow. Relation between the blow reed and the overblow varies from hole to hole because the blow reed in each hole is not consistently the same distance from the draw reed - and the blow reed doesn't produce the overblow anyway.

At Hole 7, the relationship between the blow reed and the draw reed changes. In these holes, the draw reed plays a lower note than the blow reed, instead of playing a higher note. This changes bending in the following ways:

- Blow notes (the higher notes) bend down instead of the draw notes.

- You can get overdraws (produced by the blow reeds) instead of overblows.

Which ones are easiest? The ones in Hole 6, 5, and 4. Many harmonicas can produce these overblows without adjustment.

Overblows in Holes 2 and 3 duplicate other notes, so most players don't bother with them.

Hole 1 OB is hard to sustain.

The overdraws can be hard to find; you should definitely get good command of high blow bends before attempting either overblows or overdraws. Additionally, overdraws require some reed adjustment on most harmonicas. However, Overdraw 8 (which duplicates Draw 9) is usually the easiest overdraw to produce.

Hope this helps.

Winslow
zzzzz