Re: [Harp-L] chris reynolds' acrylic combs for chromatics

> There's a lot to be said for acrylic combs.

I have sitting here in front of me a very old Hohner 270 in the key of F. The comb is walnut and the plates are on with wood screws. Not bolted all the way through plate to plate. Each side has it's own set of screws. About 1/2 inch (12.7m) from the spring end is a ragged crack. Obviously a flaw in the grain of the wood. A half inch farther from the right end is a clean crack (a seam between 2 pieces).

The chromo needed a new spring. I happen to use #2 safety pins. Because they are chromed and not thin cadmium plated. When I took the cover plates and mouth piece assemblies off to get at the spring retaining pin. The entire end of the comb crumbled in my hand. I was able to change the spring, and holding the entire right end of the assembly together with what seemed like THREE hands, I was able to get it all back together..and straight..and operating well.

It's only a matter of time before the whole thing goes south. An acrylic comb will (generally) cure all of this. Better than that crumbly old pink plastic that Hohner used to use on their 280s.

smo-joe