Re: [Harp-L] chrom tuning

Hi Daniel -

Sorry to hear about your hand problems with respect to the guitar, I've been through a number of those myself but thankfully have been cured of them all through surgery -- so far so good, anyway.

I think it's funny that my guitar example didn't apply in your case -- I don't think I've ever met any other guitar players that tune in straight fourths. You might find it interesting that players like Pat Martino not only find standard guitar tuning to be elegant (as is), but Pat goes further to explain that it is "sacred geometry" (see http://www.patmartino.com/Articles/GuitarPlayer_April_2004.pdf). Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking straight fourths or any other tuning, just emphasizing that there is beauty in standard tuning as well, and that it has survived for legitimate reasons.

As for the chrom and "significant hurdles to true ear-playing", there will always be those, regardless of the tuning. But I truly hope that you find your choice to have been the best road for you to take.

- Slim.