Re: Subject: [Harp-L] sax-trumpet cross training

Trumpet…Harmonica…Hmmm

Magic Dick  plays a triplet on the harp, sometimes,  that reminds me of the trumpet tongue technique.
I learned this as a young boy playing trumpet in an orchestra…But quit at a young age.
Block hole tongue is different … than purced lip tongue….puckering is more like a trumpet….dut-dut -dut, dut-dut-dut….in rapid succession is a technique; I  do not hear much of this in harmonica playing ( as many of us play the same stuff)...
and don't want to sound like I think I'm all that….but this is something I do from time to time…for a little flair.

The diaphragm support of notes is the same for trumpet or singing….tone…IMHO
getting even value notes . or going loud to quite….long notes…and if you add a whah whah trumpet mute that you put your finger over….it is even more similar…a certain brassiness can be found…on a harmonica…
Can I play the harmonica like louie Armstrong……not even .…
But I think it helps that I played Trumpet….as a kid…

In the orchestra …we sometimes played in minor keys…( latin based arrangements) and this has definitely helped me to find 3rd position easier than
my friends who had to buy the minor tuned harmonica before they could "hear" the other position.
We've all Got to give charlie Musselwhite much of the credit for opening my / and others' ...ears to this one…

I don't think I have ever posted my own playing on this site…I lurk in the corner…comfortably.
I keep hoping one day I will be worthy….
but for the sake of demonstration I post the following ….
I did not learn this from some other harp player ….

rather ...it comes from my 16 year old days playing the trumpet…and I still remember it…right onto the harp.
Black Magic Woman on the Filmore…( where Carlos Santana used to Hang)

Just wish there was a spit valve.

Thanks…and happy tongue work…to you all.

Grant Walters

http://youtu.be/SmEJX4MPQvk