Re: [Harp-L] where to begin with bluegrass harp?

I'll put my two cents in here. I borrowed Mike Stevens' book from a musician friend a couple of years back. It helped me learn Red Haired Boy. The harp tab is not a simplified version of the song, though. It is, rather, Stevens' version. Which is not to say that it's bad or wrong, just that he presents it the way he plays it. On the whole, I was not terribly impressed with the book and returned it before getting much further.

What I think is a much better book is Glenn Weiser's Irish and American Fiddle Tunes for the Harmonica. Not bluegrass per se, but he includes Red Haired Boy among many others. Over 100 tunes with tabs. In the opening pages he has some very useful notes on rhythm, among other things.

Check out as well Cara Cooke's web page:
http://harmonica2.tripod.com/

Scroll down to the sample fiddle tunes and tabs. These few little samples were a great inspiration to me. She plays so well.

John