Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Harp Mic

For those on the list that play electric, have drums in the band, handhold
mics, use digital processors, amps etc you might want to move onto he next
subject. If however you work in an all acoustic setting and are close
micing everyone using anywhere from 4-10 mics then the Edwina or similar
large diaphragm, side address, condenser mics may be of interest to you as
an alternative to close micing.

Before Edwina entered my life I used an AT4033 for my quartet. We have 3 up
front with guitar, banjo-uke, and harp and the upright bass stands behind
us in the back - everyone sings. We'd occasionally add a 2nd mic stage left
for guitar if the room called for it. This set up works really well if
everyone stands because you can self mix by moving in and out from the mic.
The other beauty of this is that you all are so close to each other that
you do not need monitors and also has the visual advantage of highlighting
the featured player because whoever is up front and in the middle is who
the audience should be paying attention to. The benefits are pretty
astounding and its so much more fun than being locked down to your mic
position.  There's the occasional train wreck where someone is backing out
from a solo and collides with the incoming player but that's part of the
fun and the audience loves the choreography.

When my band went from 4 to 5 members with 4 up front the pickup pattern of
the 4033 was too narrow to capture the whole band and that's when I started
looking for another option and met Edwina. Now we mount the two Edwinas on
a single stand with a cross bar mic adapter and toe the mics out so that
the pickup pattern is now wider to accommodate the new front line. With the
exception of really noisy rooms, or where the speakers are upstage from the
band this set up is our go to.  In the rare setting where it does not work
and we go back to close micing we are all kind of miserable.

I unfortunately do not have any video of the band using the Edwinas but
here's a clip with the 4033 and a 2nd mic down low for guitar - its shot at
the Jalopy Theatre here in Brooklyn.

http://youtu.be/70-O-4Gimzc

These two clips are from fellow Brooklynite Michael Daves with Chris Thile
in one and Bryan Sutton in the other using the one mic approach.  Hold on
to your hats for these gents!

http://youtu.be/iJkEnOcIs7A

http://youtu.be/BJoSA8BWRA0