Subject: [Harp-L] SPAH picture lady, Grace Fischette RIP

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 22:50:41 -0400
From: Dennis  Fischette <dmfischette@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-l Harp-l  <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

The lady that was always taking pictures at  SPAH, at all the shows and in
the Joe Filisco jam circle has passed away after a  long battle with lung
disease and Parkinsons. She was a wonderful lady and loved  by all that knew
her. I miss her dearly.

------------------------------

Oh Dennis...I am so, so sad for you, and us--her SPAH family. Grace was
the exemplification of her name. Her generosity of spirit and unflagging
warmth  and cheerfulness despite her physical pain and difficulties endeared her
to  everyone who ever knew her.

 She will forever epitomize SPAH for me personally. The first time  I ever
found the temerity to get up at an Open Mic, Grace found out (after  coming
across me shaking with fear in a hallway corner)...and, with her  usual
warmth and concern took my hand, hugged me and assured me that I'd be fine
because she'd make sure to be 'front row and center' so that I wasn't alone. She
 told me to focus on and to play to her and when the time came after  I'd
nearly backed out playing onstage with Smokey and Wally several times  in
abject fear, she was one of only 4 people I remembered being in the  audience.
You and Val & Phil were the others.

You don't know this--but ever since, the only photo I've used to denote  my
harmonica playing is one she took that day. I've been asked many times  why
I don't update it--but it was Grace's photograph and I treasure it  as I
treasure another I have where we photographed each other across a crowded
night-time Blues jam at exactly the same moment--she with an impish grin on her
 face as she laughingly pointed at me. How much fun she had with her
camera!

Always--you're there, either playing in the circle as she quietly shot
photo after photo of everyone present--or by her side. You're a good man,
Dennis--and as you were so fortunate to have Grace, she was lucky to have you
too. SPAH for me could never be quite the same without the Fischettes and
Grace's donated (and extraordinary) photographs. I  remember when someone
asked her why she so generously gave people the photos she took of them--often
album cover quality close-ups (when other photographers present charged for
 theirs), and she simply shrugged and said she loved to do it. It was her
hobby  and her fun.

We all impatiently awaited the results after the first year--knowing  her
photos would be wonderful--and would capture SPAH moments very few  would
think to shoot. I know she took thousands of shots--once attempting to  show me
how her camera worked when I asked...which sailed right over my head.  She
was so much more than some people realized: funny as heck, a great judge of
people and an absolute sweetheart.

I'll treasure the times we spent together because she was so very  special.
My heart aches for you and your family. Thank you so much for taking  the
time to let us know.

We love you both,
Elizabeth