Re: [Harp-L] Marine band

I find it funny that anyone can get nostalgic over Marine Bands.  To me they were an annoyance.

For starters, I grew to dislike the box it came in.  The instructions that came with it said to always keep the harp in the box to keep it protect.  The problem was the stupid box would always wear out before the harp did.  The second annoyance was the wooded combs would swell causing them to protrude which would rub your mouth raw especially when playing fast.  The third annoyance was after time the nails would start coming out and it was a bear to try to keep them in.

In those days I didn't have the funds to buy more nor did I have the tools, the skills, and lore to fix them.  I also had the same problems with Hohner Blues Harp.

In spite of all of these annoyances I had fun, however years later when I discovered the Suzuki Bluesmaster I was overjoyed.  No more cardboard boxes, no more swelling combs, and no more falling nails and on top of that they were easier to bend and sounded very good.

Notwithstanding, I did miss the woody sound and since then have discovered the Crossover.  The Crossovers have become one of my favorite harmonicas.  The Crossover is more expensive than the 1896 Marine Band, but is worth the price.

Dennis Montgomery