Re: [Harp-L] Richter Shift Tuning

I totally agree and yes it makes sense.  I try to avoid the Richter term,
too.
Occasionally I use the phrase "tuned to the style commonly referred to as
Richter".

I think a lot of the old trems and octaves were tuned this way as you
state.

Anyhow, the advantage as I see it in this tuning is that it allows the
construction of
a harmonica or reed instrument within certain pitch ranges that might not
otherwise be
possible.  As in the example above, the commonly played holes and pattern
produce a pitch
one octave higher.

--
*Greg Jones*