From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jun 27, 2014 6:39 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Interesting new tuning

Whenever I encounter a new tuning, the first thing I try to "break" is the
chords.

In the blow notes I see F-G-A in neighboring holes, and also C-D .That's a lot
of major seconds that are likely to sound dissonant when neighboring holes are
played.

Same goes for the draw notes: G-A-B and then D-E.

Isolating a single hole is one of the first difficulties people run when they
first try to play a harmonica. Early on, someone finessed this problem by making
most of the neighboring-hole combinations into harmonious-sounding thirds. This
brought up the obvious corollary of chords, resulting in an instrument with
three of the triads of the key available (C, G, and D minor on a C harmonica).

This is not a harp for beginners - it presupposes very good single-note
technique, the ability to forswear most chords (or use sophisticated and
accurately targeted tongue skills to tease out the thirds and fifths), and the
ability to bend.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the
Harmonica
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School