Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:33:16 -0500
From: Barry  Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: Blues vs classical -  was: Re: Subject: [Harp-L]
The name "blues"
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

On 6/6/2014 10:58 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx  wrote:
> What I WAS talking about were musicians who play from their  hearts-

Are there musicians or genres known for NOT playing from their  hearts?
In my experience, one of the differences between adequate musicians  and
great musicians is the ability to play from the heart regardless of
whether one is improvising alone or playing in a 60 piece  orchestra.

> However--contrary to your experience, I've also met  and, as a life
> long music fan watched certain classically trained  musicians 'phoning
> in' their performances and becoming hopelessly lost  without their
> sheet music while having no sense of what lies behind the  music when
> out of their element.

Let me assure you that I've  played with a great many blues, jazz, rock,
country, and folk musicians who  have done the same when they were having
a bad night. Not every performance  is a gem. Some nights you just
survive the gig.

BB

Mr. Bean. My post was written two weeks ago to make clear that the  parts
you previously singled out to alter my meaning thereto were explained. Now
you're again singling out parts of sentences and paragraphs where I
qualified my statements in order to change what I'm actually writing  about into
something you can find insulting.

 Following is what I actually DID write, with certain parts removed  which
aren't salient to this discussion (relative to another poster and deemed
Meta by the list owner).

"From June 6, 2014:
Mr. Bean, when I posted I made QUITE SURE to qualify my statement by
specifying that I was NOT 'knocking' formal music education and said so clearly
enough for presumably anyone to understand; perhaps I didn't repeat the
salient  point sufficiently enough or apologize profusely often enough in
advance to  those of you who fail to read qualifiers...

Your statement: "the notion that a blues (or jazz, or folk, or whatever)
musician is somehow expressing deeper or more closely held feelings through
their playing than players in any other genre is misguided at best, and
insulting at
worst."

What?

Fascinating, but that's not even CLOSE to what I wrote. If you're
'insulted' then the problem is yours since I did NOT narrow it down to any genre  or
write anything of the sort. Especially since I love, enjoy and play music
of  ALL types--including R&B, old standards, folk, rock, Smooth Jazz,
Pop--anything and everything which catches my fancy and I've written about this
MANY times before).

Except blues--I believe I specified THAT point as well.

What I WAS talking about were musicians who play from their hearts--even IF
 they don't use actual instruments (as I'd mentioned earlier in my
BODIES to make sounds to express their innermost feelings when they had no other
 way to do so..

...their VOICES and BODIES expressing their pain and awful conditions of
life. They didn't use harmonicas at all...

Blues and folk music existed long before people used harmonicas... People
sang, thumped on their chests, used spoons on their legs, bones tied
together,  jawharps, washboards, rudimentary banjos and guitars long before they
played  harmonicas--so where did [the other poster] come up with 'blowing' as
the source of 'blues'?

THAT was my main point yet your sole focus is my having the chutzpah to
express my own personal opinion that this kind of soul-deep music is more
expressive to ME than formal music education? Well, shoot me for having a
contrary opinion to yourself but isn't that what this list is all about?
Expressing different opinions?

In NO WAY am I 'insulting' everyone who has a formal musical education.
This is a particularly grating charge because I'm personally a huge fan of
Robert Bonfiglio--own every one of his CD's and have attended his performances
 many, many times--have posted at least half a dozen times (both here and
on  Slidemeister) his playing of The Thais Meditation--referring to it as THE
most  sublime and heartfelt performance which moves me to real tears each
time. I KNOW  Robert feels HIS music deeply. I've taken his class at the
Grand Canyon. Robert  is clearly a proponent of formal music education so why on
earth would I make  the trek out there from NY if I demeaned formal music
education? Michal Adler is  another classical harmonicist who affects me
deeply and I also was the  beneficiary of 'some' formal music education as a
child.

However--contrary to your experience, I've also met and, as a life long
music fan watched certain classically trained musicians 'phoning in' their
performances and becoming hopelessly lost without their sheet music while
having  no sense of what lies behind the music when out of their element. I've
never  seen that happen with ear players although I'll allow for the
possibility that  it 'could' occur. THAT is what I'm also referring to. It fits
other musicians  too, including some jazz musicians I've seen who play
everything from sheet  music and never really 'hear' and who have no concept of
'groove'. I could name  a dozen harmonica players who are likewise awful, but I
won't since I've never  put down a single harmonica player since joining this
list. It's not what I  do.

 In fact I don't know many music fans who have NOT seen such 'phoned  in'
performances, or the resultant confusion/chaos if the sheet music is blown
about outdoors.

I'm not at all down on classically trained musicians: to my mind the best
have both a great 'ear' as well as formal training. I was talking about
'feel'--an entirely different thing altogether and I stand by my original
statement: the MAJORITY of people and musicians I've met over my fairly lengthy
life who play and 'feel' the music from their hearts and 'soul'--whatever
one's interpretation of that word is, TO MY MIND (there's my  qualifier
again) touch ME far more deeply than anyone who simply plays  written notes.
Have I qualified this sufficiently now? Am I not allowed to have  this very
personal opinion?

I wasn't 'born' when I began posting on harp-l, nor when I listed myself as
 an amateur harmonicist. I'll likely always remain an amateur harmonica
player  which does not displease me. However, I'm a music aficionado as so many
people  are--outside of their playing-- and I DO believe my opinion there
is as valid as  anyone else's. What's particularly odd to me is the rush to
attack my single  qualified comment specified as being personal to me while
ignoring an  extremely offensive comment pointed at a whole group of people.

EGS

Message: 11