Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Progress

Hey Kev, Michelle's advice is the best that I have heard. I find too many players doing riffs, runs, scales, modes, triads, positions, fourths, fifths, sevenths, etc. And while theory is fine, too much time gets spent on the mundane (but necessary) foundation blocks and not enough on the melodies themselves. One can therefore over analyze, and at the same time get into a drudge.

Melodies give you the forced impetus that you HAVE to get the notes. If you have a tune and there are several notes that are hard to get, you may as well not play the tune as, while you negotiate the notes trying to get 'around' the tune, you may miss the true flavor of the tune. I feel that Michelle is right on the money here. And once you have the melodies secured, you can then add your flourishes, and make it your own flavor.

smokey-joe