Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Man with what harmonica? Video

You're very welcome, Arnold. Although I don't see that it's 'confusion'
since Smokey (Joe Leone) did say it was a C chromatic early on and that one
can  get the riff on a C. I'm personally (as he is) a huge believer in playing
 different-keyed chromatics for situations where they're called for
(neither of  us are 'purists') since why else are they made, and why not use the
many tools  available? But I believe De Gemini played a C chromatic
specifically.

I also think someone posted the De Gemini interview once before here--might
 have been Smokey himself (who, incidentally is a real-life cousin  of
Sergio Leone--a wee bit of film and harmonica lore most people might not  know.
I've seen black and white photos of a very young Smokey and siblings  with
his older cousin Sergio.)

Anyway, I digress. I DO remember this or a similar clip but with an English
 translator explaining just how the riff was played. The overall discussion
 'could' have taken place on Slidemeister, not here--now that I think about
it.  Unsure. But I've personally heard Smokey play it and he's dead-on
accurate. Back  then his favourite go-to chromatic was a
G so I'm not 100% sure if that's  what he was using? Naturally, this is a
favourite topic/attempt to play riff  among chromatic players here.

I'm a big fan of the movie too, but am mostly affected by the  very moving
aspect of the young boy being forced to balance his older  brother on his
shoulders. His brother makes the decision to kick him away, in  effect hanging
himself--to spare his brother the onus of causing his own  sibling's life.
That stuck with me more than any other aspect of the movie--as  good as the
rest of it was, and I supported and wanted the  boy/man's single-minded
revenge on 'Frank' throughout the rest of the film.  That's what the harmonica
conveys to me here...the immense sadness, rage and  implacability of his
hunting down his brother's killer.

Ergo those notes give me chills every time. Morricone knew what he was
doing.

Elizabeth

"Message: 8