Re: [Harp-L] Man with what harmonica?

On Jan 10, 2014, at 12:18 PM, Arnold Cazemier wrote:

> Op Thu, 9 Jan 2014 19:00:58 -0500 schreef Joseph Leone:
>
>> On Jan 9, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Arnold Cazemier wrote:
>>
>>> @Gary
>>>
>>> Bb is possible! That would be >6D 5D 6D >6D, did Bb chromatics exist at
>>> that time?
>>>
>>> @Ken, Joe, the last two notes are indeed D# and E, but the breathing
>>> direction changes, so the notes will never sound together as in the song.
>>>
>>> You see, in my humble opinion it can't be played on a C or G.
>>>

>>> Arnold
>>>

>> Blow hole 6. Blow hole 5. Draw hole 5 with slide in. Wiggle slide on draw hole 5 with slide in and gradually letting it out so you get a discord.
>> Blow hole 6. Draw hole 4. Draw hole 5 with slide in. Wiggle slide on draw hole 5 with slide in and gradually letting it out so get the discord again.
>>
>> So, don't know what they did with the sound in the movie? as I don't have the movie here to listen to. But that's how it was done. The tune then goes into A minor. It is easy enough to do on a diatonic but you won't get that laconic discord. So a chromatic in C was used.
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we53TOJyt78
>

> This is in A minor, like the original. The starting note is an E,
> then he releases the slide and you hear the D#. That 's not
> possible on a C chromatic. Or am I missing something?

Sure, a D# is also known as an Eb. It is available as a breath switch from C to D..BUT you have to already be making the D a little sharp so the sour 'double notes' come through. Then, depending on what timing you want, you send the slide all the way in.

> Of course this is not a big deal, but I must say that I'm a bit
> surprised that the type of harmonica used in one of the
> most famous harmonica tunes is NOT a known fact :)

It is a known fact. When I first heard the riff, I tried it on a diatonic. It was doable but didn't have the double note smear. I DID do a bend..but it wasn't the same. Tried a chromatic and it was immediate.

> Arnold
>
> Arnold..Do you read music? If so, here it is:  E  C  D 1/2 sharp-into D#  E.  Then:  E  B  D 1/2 sharp-into D#  E.
OR: Blow, blow, draw slide slightly in to fully in, and finally blow.     Then Blow, draw, draw slide slightly in to fully in, and finally blow.