[Harp-L] Re: RP + harp + another instrument

Robert Hale wrote:
<Richard Hunter, and RP users:
<I use a Digitech RP355 for harmonica performing, and the sounds are getting rave responses at the local jams.
<
<When I use the same setup for another instrument (autoharp with a magnetic pickup) the output level is far lower than my mic.
<Should I create a section of patches just for the autoharp, and attempt to make them the same output level as the harmonica group?

The reason the output level is so much lower for the autoharp than for the mic is that mics produce a much stronger signal than pickups do.  That's why the factory patches that sound so good with guitars produce instant huge feedback when you try them with a mic.

There are at least two solutions:
1)  As you suggest, create a section of patches for the autoharp.  The RP355 gives you 70 user locations; most users won't need more than a few dozen at most for harmonica.  I reserve 35 patches in my own RP355 setup for song-specific patch sequences, and that's been plenty for me to this point.
2)  You can use the patch level control in Xedit to adjust individual patch levels until they're all roughly equal.  The patch level setting can be found in the upper right hand corner of Xedit's edit window.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick