Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: twin harmonica system

Mr. Price: Brendan has already mentioned first that the Twin Harmonica
items he showed in the video are PROTOtypes--and further that there are all
sorts of possibilities available as he progresses with this brilliant and
innovative idea, i.e. doing precisely what Richard Hunter asks: allowing  for
switching out of other chromatics.

This is the second negative comment you've made about the cost....the first
 along the lines of 'taking a second mortgage on one's home' or asking if
Brendan  would help 'finance' the costs. As Richard and others point out,
spending the  time, energy, effort and money involved in developing new ideas
and  inventions (not to mention the cost of the CAD/milling machines), needs
to be  recouped by the inventor or he's apt to go broke long before bringing
these  instruments to market.

I don't recall Brendan claiming buying his system will 'make anyone a
better player' as you seem to imply. Rather, it removes distracting  obstacles
from the path of one striving to be a better  player. Shouldn't that be the
aim of all musical innovations?

The costs of custom harps are by comparison also extremely expensive given
that they too use existing harmonica combs/bodies. I haven't read many
complaints from their purchasers.

While I realize you consider your idea of bolting two harps together  also
'innovative'...so many others have previously either stacked harps together
(Jia-Yi He is one example) or created devices to hold them together to play
 in conjunction with each other (someone on Slidemeister recently posted a
photo  of such a wooden clamping system he built some time ago). Marv Monroe
of Buckeye  and SPAH plays two XB-40's (C&C#) in a specially modified harp
holder  while playing guitar to lead play-alongs at SPAH for mostly
chromatic players.  He's been doing this for umpteen years (as long as I've been
attending SPAH) but  could easily change them to any other key if he chose.

I'm sorry if others haven't taken to your bolting system--but you  needn't
then shoot arrows at Brendan who IS and has long-since been  someone who
takes risks to create innovative products for harmonica players. It  purely
smacks of sour grapes and will likely result in turning away some  who might
well have been originally interested in your idea. If you see his  invention
as somehow infringing on yours, it doesn't... remotely. Brendan's  single
mouthpiece for two separate chromatics--and the locking system for the  buttons
is completely unusual and removes any 'delay' without  excessive strain by
the player as far as I've seen and heard from his  demonstration.

Elizabeth

"Message: 13